Saturday, January 19, 2008

América Ferrera: A Latina´s Vote


Last night while watching Entertainment Tonight, (yes, we finally purchased a television after 5 years without one, but that's for another blog), I saw that America Ferrera, named in Time Magazine as one of the100 most influential persons for 2007, is out on the campaign trail with Hilary Clinton. I have heard several times through out the campaign in interviews with both Obama and Clinton, that they don't want voters to see their race or gender, but gender and race is at front and center in 2008. When candidates allow high profile celebrities like Oprah Winfrey and now America Ferrera to speak for them in public, it negates their statements that they don't want race or gender to be part of the issues. Having an influential white woman and black man standing before our nation and saying, "Vote for me!" there is definite change in the political air. It was only 40 years ago that Dr. King was fighting for the civil rights of the black community, and only 40 years or so ago that women declared the first wave of feminism. So how can this race NOT be about deeper issues of race and gender? Well it is. A Latina friend of mine asked me, "Why are you blogging on América Ferrera?" That's a good question my friend. I saw that she was part of the Clinton entourage and she caught my eye. I hadn't seen her on Ugly Betty because I didn't have a television at the time, and I usually don't watch sitcoms AT ALL. So I did some research on her, googled some of her pictures, and I was pretty impressed. First of all, her cultural roots are Honduran. But to focus on the surface stuff, she is not all glam that with so many stars is really a put on and a sham! Check her out! She's got carne on her huesos! She hasn't (and I hope she doesn't) gone out on these weight loss crazes to look anorexic or strung-out-on-drugs thin. She has stayed grounded. She knows who she is, a Latina (we are not toothpicks) and she's not going to change (again, I hope she doesn't). And what beyond her looks makes her a role model? She's not banking on her looks and Hollywood to carry her through life, she's studying International Relations at the University of Southern California (Miller, Estylo Magazine 35). ¡Adelante! América! More Latinos should take the example: stay in school and don´t get diverted by the false promise of flash and glam and the quick buck!
And so back to the issue of América Ferrera representing the Clinton campaign. Although I love América as a Latina, I have to agree with my husband (we discuss politics at home) and question the role of Hollywood in politicking. Should the movie stars be part of their campaigns? Should they represent a candidate trying to win over the votes just because promoter is famous a celebrity? Again, I have to agree with my husband, that that kind of celebrity representation makes the real issues invisible. What does América Ferrera really know about Washington and what´s going on in the world of politics and beyond? I may be sticking my foot in my mouth, but if she´s anything like most of my college students (or the typical American), not much. In the case of América supporting the Clinton campaign going door to door asking people to vote, it brings one issue front and center. The Hispanic, Latino, Chicano population (whatever you want to label us) has the strength in numbers to make a difference and politicians will do anything to get it! DO they know it? I hope so. But, once the lights are dimmed, and the votes are cast, will the Clintons, the Obamas, or the McCains remember those people they spoke to and shook hands with? Or will they be blinded by the temptation of large corporate giants and lobbyists and forget the people that this government was meant to serve? ¡Hay que ver! We shall see!

No comments: